Metro

“I Used AI to Defraud UTME Candidates,” 26-Year-Old Fraudster Confesses

In a shocking revelation, 26-year-old Emmanuel Praise Akataka has admitted to using an Artificial Intelligence (AI) tool, Gemini, to defraud candidates preparing for the 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

Akataka, who was re-arrested by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), told investigators that the AI tool allowed him to convincingly pose as a legitimate intermediary capable of “fixing” candidates’ UTME scores and boosting their chances of admission.

He claimed to have successfully defrauded about 94 candidates, with the potential for that number to rise as more prospective examinees responded to his schemes.

At a press briefing in Abuja on Thursday, JAMB Registrar Prof. Is-haq Oloyede reminded journalists that Akataka had previously been arrested alongside accomplices for a series of crimes including criminal conspiracy, impersonation, identity theft, and online fraud targeted at UTME candidates.

Akataka was later released after showing remorse and promising to reform.

Oloyede said: “He was previously apprehended for his role in a network engaged in criminal conspiracy, impersonation, identity theft, online fraud, and other related offences targeted at UTME candidates. Sadly, he has been re-arrested for the second time for the same crimes of registration and admission fraud.”

According to the Registrar, Akataka had created a fictitious identity, “official Frederick,” and established a WhatsApp platform to advertise non-existent services such as score inflation. Through this scheme, he defrauded 94 candidates who believed they could pay to have their scores enhanced.

“The affected candidates were given a fair hearing by the Board by giving the opportunity to appear before a special committee to establish their innocence. The Minister’s approval was sought and obtained for the cancellation of the registrations. Mr. Akataka was thereafter granted bail in line with due legal process.

“But Mr. Akataka re-established contact with the same candidates he had previously defrauded shortly after his release. This time, he adopted another name, ‘Sir Frederick,’ and demanded the payment of N70,000 from each candidate falsely claiming that he could reverse the cancellation of their registrations as he was, allegedly, in contact with the Board.”

Investigations revealed that Akataka initially used his father’s bank account, Vincent Okpowho Akataka, to collect payments. He later opened another account under the name Zainab Rafiu, posing her as a JAMB Director, to give credibility to his scheme.

“It is deeply concerning that the same candidates involved in the initial infraction, again, fell victim to yet another fraudulent scheme. This troubling pattern raises serious concerns about the growing willingness among some candidates to pursue unlawful advantage, rather than exercise the judgment and integrity expected of them.

“This conduct is not only criminal but further exposes the deceptive and exploitative nature of such syndicates. The Board reiterates, without qualification, that no individual or group can influence UTME results, facilitate special assistance, or manipulate candidate registration under any circumstance.”

Prof. Oloyede warned that any claims of score enhancement or examination assistance are fraudulent, and anyone engaging with such schemes risks both financial loss and legal consequences.

He added that JAMB, in collaboration with security agencies, will continue to prosecute all perpetrators.

The JAMB Registrar noted that the Board has secured the conviction of more than six offenders since 2025, including Ibrahim Abdulaziz, who was recently sentenced to three years in prison for impersonation.

The accused, however, defended his actions to journalists, citing poverty and the need to care for his sick mother as reasons for returning to crime after his earlier arrest.

What's your reaction?

Leave Comment