The Catholic Diocese of Auchi has announced the death of Emmanuel Alabi, one of three seminarians who were abducted by armed men in Edo State earlier this year.
In a statement released late Tuesday by the Assistant Director of Communications, Rev. Fr. Linus Imoedemhe, the Diocese revealed that Alabi passed away while still held by his captors, months after his abduction.
Alabi, along with Japhet Jesse and Joshua Aleobua, was kidnapped on July 10, 2025, from the Immaculate Conception Minor Seminary in Ivianokpodi, Etsako East Local Government Area.
Shortly after the abduction, Jesse regained his freedom—reportedly following the payment of ransom by his relatives—while Aleobua and Alabi remained in captivity. Sources close to the Church said the Diocese maintained its stance against ransom payments, a position that may have prolonged their ordeal.
The Church confirmed that Aleobua was finally released on November 4, 2025, but Alabi did not survive.
“With gratitude to God, we rejoice for the safe return of Japhet Jesse and Joshua Aleobua,” Fr. Imoedemhe said. “Yet, it is with deep pain that we announce the death of seminarian Emmanuel Alabi, who tragically died while in the hands of his abductors.”
Reacting to the development, the Bishop of Auchi Diocese, Most Rev. Gabriel Dunia, expressed deep sorrow over the loss, describing it as a painful reminder of Nigeria’s worsening security situation.
He appealed to security agencies to strengthen efforts to curb the growing menace of kidnappings and violence across the country. Dunia also urged political leaders to make national security a top priority as the 2027 general elections draw near.
“The Diocese of Auchi continues to stand firm in faith and in the pursuit of peace and justice,” the Bishop said. “We entrust the soul of Emmanuel Alabi to God’s mercy and pray for comfort for his family, the seminary, and all who mourn him.”






