in

Death toll rises to 30 in Kenyan government’s clampdown on protesters

At least 30 people have died in protests in Kenya this week, triggered by the government’s plan substantially to raise taxes, according to the Human Rights Watch on Saturday.

 

The demonstrations erupted across the country as citizens expressed their anger over the economic strain caused by the proposed tax increases.

 

In a statement on Saturday by the associate Africa director at the Human Rights Watch, Otsieno Namwaya, “Kenyan security forces shot directly into crowds of protesters on (Tuesday) June 25, 2024, including protesters who were fleeing.”

“Shooting directly into crowds without justification, including as protesters try to flee, is completely unacceptable under Kenyan and international law,” he said.

 

SaharaReporters had earlier reported that the protesters gathered yet again in Nairobi as Kenya’s security officials put up roadblocks and fire tear gas and rubber bullets at the demonstrators.

 

Kenyans are determined to continue the protests despite President William Ruto’s U-turn in signing the finance bill that has sparked outrage in the capital, Nairobi and other parts of Kenya.

 

The protesters gathered yet again in Nairobi as Kenya’s security officials put up roadblocks and fire tear gas and rubber bullets at the demonstrators.

 

Deadly protests were sparked last week by the 2024 finance bill as the initially peaceful rallies gathered momentum across the country.

 

On Tuesday, Kenya’s Parliament was partly set ablaze and at least 22 people were reported killed across the country.

 

And by Wednesday, President William Ruto said he would not sign the bill, and “it shall subsequently be withdrawn.” ed 99.99 per cent positive report that the convict is the father of the child.

 

A High Court, sitting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, capital, has sentenced a 41 years old man, Baridapsi Needam, to 14 years imprisonment for raping and impregnating his daughter.

The Bayelsa Commissioner of Justice and Attorney-General in the suit numbered YHC/14C/2022 charged the accused with the offence of rape contrary to Section 1(1) of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Law of Bayelsa State, 2021.

 

The State Prosecuting Counsel and Deputy Director in the Bayelsa State Ministry of Justice, Pere Amanda Egbuson, told the court that investigations revealed that the accused, Mr Needam began defiling his daughter since she was seven years old by inserting his fingers into her vagina, and started having sex with her in 2020 until she got pregnant in 2022.

 

The Presiding Judge, Justice D.E Adokeme, while delivering the judgement stated that the prosecution led credible evidence and made reference to the DNA result which revealed 99.99 per cent positive report that the convict is the father of the child.

 

The court ruled that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt that Mr. Needam committed the offence of rape and sentenced him to 14 years imprisonment.

 

Speaking after the judgement, the lead prosecuting counsel, Pere Amanda Egbuson, Deputy Director in the Bayelsa State Ministry of Justice, noted that the judgement would serve as a deterrent to others who engage in such unimaginable act, while noting that a strong message had been sent that the court would not tolerate such heinous acts.

 

She however thanked the Honourable Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Biriyai Dambo, SAN, for his immense support in ensuring that the DNA analysis was carried out to aid the prosecution in pursuit of justice in the case.

 

Also commenting on the development, a known advocate against Violence against Women and founder of Do Foundation, Dr Dise Ogbise Goddy Harry, said the CSOs in the state are excited with the judgement of the court.

 

According to her, “The State Government through the ministry of Justice, ministry of women affairs, children affairs and social development and the Bayelsa State Gender Response Initiative Team have done well by keeping the victim safe and the innocent baby safe too. This should sound as a warning to all paedophiles to stay clear off our children.”

 

It was learnt that the convicted father was reported to have replaced his deceased wife with his daughter on his matrimonial bed.

 

While the 14-year-old girl who was in Junior Secondary School 3, was sleeping with the father on the bed, her two younger brothers were made to sleep on the floor.

Report

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What do you think?

652 Points
Upvote Downvote
Enthusiast

Written by Olusesan Oba

Years Of MembershipStory MakerContent Author

Angela Okorie’s Outfit to Mr Ibu’s Funeral Sparks Reactions

Video: Angela Okorie’s Outfit to Mr Ibu’s Funeral Sparks Reactions