Defence Ministry confirms killing of 17 Niger soldiers near Mali

Nigerien army soldiers from the 322nd Parachute Regiment practice field tactics during combat training facilitated by U.S. Army Soldiers during exercise Flintlock 2007 in Maradi, Niger, April 6, 2007. The multi-national exercise, which is part of the U.S. State Department's Trans-Sahara Counterterrorism Partnership, is an ongoing and long standing military-to-military relationship between Niger and the U.S. that provides an interactive exchange of military, linguistic and intercultural skills for both countries and will also help Niger to respond to threats within and across their borders to maintain security and stability. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Michael Larson) (Released)

The defence ministry of Niger Republic has confirmed the killing of 17 soldiers on Tuesday in an attack by suspected jihadists near the country’s western border with Mali.

An army detachment was “the victim of a terrorist ambush near the town of Koutougou,” said a ministry statement published late Tuesday.

It added that another 20 soldiers had been wounded, six seriously, with all the casualties evacuated to the capital Niamey.

More than 100 assailants were “neutralised” during their retreat, the army said.

A jihadist insurgency has plagued Africa’s Sahel region for more than a decade, breaking out in northern Mali in 2012 before spreading to neighbouring Niger and Burkina Faso in 2015.

The so-called “three borders” area between the three countries is regularly the scene of attacks by rebels affiliated with the Islamic State group and Al-Qaeda.

The unrest across the region has killed thousands of troops, police officers and civilians and forced millions to flee their homes.

Anger at the bloodshed has fuelled military takeovers in all three countries since 2020, with Niger the latest to fall to a coup on July 26 when President Mohamed Bazoum was ousted.

Niger is also facing a jihadist insurgency in its southeast from militants crossing from northeastern Nigeria — the cradle of a campaign initiated by Boko Haram in 2010. (AFP)

Exit mobile version