News

In Anambra, total of 11 suspects have been apprehended by the police

The Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Aderemi Adeoye, has announced the arrest and detention of 11 suspects involved in multiple cases of rape and defilement reported over the past week. 

The CP expressed his concern over the increasing prevalence of moral decay within society. In a statement released on Monday in Awka, the police spokesperson, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, highlighted the importance of parents being vigilant regarding the influences their children are exposed to.

“On July 11, an obscene video clip that went viral showed a young lady, aged 19, being gang raped by a group of boys. Investigation revealed that the incident happened at Orama-etiti, Anam, in Anambra West Local Government Area.

“The police at Otuocha collaborated with the local vigilance group in the area to arrest six suspects involved in the criminal act.

“They are Chinua Obikezie, 17,  Collins Ogbodo, 19,  Ifeanyi Chijoke, 17,  Abuchi Ikechukwu, 17, Ezenwa Afam, 18, and Sunday Okafor, 27.

“Three other suspects implicated in the ignoble act are still at large. During interrogation, all the six suspects confessed to have taken part in the crime, ” he said.

Adeoye reported a related incident where the Police, in collaboration with a local vigilance group, apprehended three suspects on July 8 in Abagana for allegedly raping a 15-year-old girl. The suspects were identified as Chimezie Odugwu (21), Nnamdi Anodebe (19), and Jude Onua (48). Based on the suspects’ confessions, it was revealed that the victim was found wandering near Abagana Junction when Chimezie enticed her to Nnamdi’s residence within the same vicinity, where both individuals engaged in sexual intercourse with her.

“She left the suspect’s house in tears and the elderly suspect, Jude, on the pretext of sheltering her brought her to his house and raped her before she was rescued by the police and vigilantes,” he said.

The Commissioner of Police also informed that the Ekwulobia Division’s police operatives detained a 41-year-old man named Chinenye Ezemehege in relation to the reported defilement of a 13-year-old girl. The suspect, who claimed to work as a security guard at the market, admitted to the crime and revealed that he had been compensating the girl with amounts ranging from N500 to N1,000 for her “services.”

“Preliminary information revealed that the parents of the girl normally send her to get firewood at the Ekwulobia Market before she fell prey to the suspect.

“Police operatives attached to Atani Division on July 13, also arrested one Odimako Ikenga, aged 38, from Ossomala village in Ogbaru LGA.

“The suspect has been on the Police Wanted List in an ongoing investigation of a case of defilement of a 12-year-old girl reported to the police on Aug. 28, 2022, ” he said.

Adeoye praised the diligence and commitment of police operatives and vigilantes in fulfilling their duty to society. He emphasized his unwavering resolve to address the issue of sexual crimes and gender-based violence in the state.

The Commissioner assured residents that sexual predators, particularly those who target minors, will have no refuge or escape from justice. He stated that all suspects implicated during the investigation would be brought before the court for prosecution.

What's your reaction?

Leave Comment