Club football resumed this weekend following the season’s first international break, with Nigerian players abroad showcasing their talents for their respective European clubs. Here’s a summary:
– Wilfred Ndidi scored for Leicester City in their away victory against Southampton. He netted the second goal, while Kelechi Iheanacho came on in the 80th minute. Joe Aribo entered the game in the 78th minute as Southampton suffered a significant home defeat.
– Victor Boniface played a key role in Bayer Leverkusen’s 2-2 draw with Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena, although he didn’t score.
– Calvin Bassey made a 90th-minute appearance as a substitute in Fulham’s 1-0 win over Luton Town at Craven Cottage.
– Frank Onyeka came off the bench in the 72nd minute for Brentford in their 1-0 loss to Newcastle.
– Jamilu Collins played the entire 90 minutes for Championship side Cardiff City in their home victory against Swansea.
– Semi Ajayi was featured throughout West Bromwich’s goalless draw away from home against Bristol City.
– In Italy, AC Milan’s Samuel Chukwueze was introduced in the 56th minute for Christian Pulisic, but couldn’t prevent the team from a 5-1 derby defeat against neighbors Inter Milan.
Victor Osimhen has now gone two consecutive matches without finding the net for Napoli, as they played to a draw against Genoa on the road.
Goalkeeper Francis Uzoho did not feature in Omonia Nicosia’s goalless draw against AEL.
– Ademola Lookman scored a goal for Atalanta, but they endured a 3-2 defeat away to Fiorentina.
– Isaac Success and Maduke Okoye remained unused substitutes for Udinese Calcio in their away draw against Cagliari.
– Tyrone Ebuehi also remained an unused substitute for Empoli as they suffered a heavy 7-0 loss to Roma.
– Akor Adams played a significant role in Montpellier’s 2-2 away draw against Strasbourg, being substituted in the 70th minute.
– Kenneth Omeruo completed the full 90 minutes in a 3-3 draw for his Turkish side, Kasim Pasa, against Alanyaspor.
– Simon Moses scored a stunning strike in the 48th minute, securing a win for French side Nantes on the road against Clement Foot.
– Gift Orban featured for Gent until the 68th minute in their match against OH Leuven but couldn’t find the net for his team.
– In Spain, Sadiq Umar came in as a substitute in the 81st minute, replacing Mikel Oyerzabal, as Real Sociedad suffered a 2-1 defeat to league leaders Real Madrid.